Monday, March 14, 2011

On Masses and People

Yesterday night, I went to church. Well, I don’t regularly go to church every Sunday but don’t get me wrong. I still believe in their teachings but not all the time. I guess, I’m just being critical in what to believe or not.

The gospel was about mankind’s sin because of disobeying God’s wishes and how people are tempted and being tempted everyday. The priest also mentioned events concerning the recent disasters in Japan and to pray for the people there. While listening, I began to glimpse at the people around me. I can’t help but notice that most of the people were not actually listening. They just seemed listening and that made me think. What is really the point of going to masses if we’re not listening and pondering what the church has to teach us? I admit that it’s hard to listen all the time. Every once in a while we tend to wander off and do our own musings but it would do no harm if we learn to pay attention to the gospel and the sermon. Why? Because this is what we’re there for, not because others want us to or we just want others to see us. Not also for whatever reasons.

However, it is still up to us to evaluate our own purpose of going to the church. No one can really know what our intentions really are or whether we had any intentions at all. As for me, I still cannot promise that I will go to church every Sunday but I believe that it works for me. I’d be dishonest to myself if I do so.

Until the next time I attend another mass… X 













No comments:

Post a Comment